Sunday, 10 October 2010

Bath and the American Museum

A slightly later start to this morning, as we were not travelling any great distance - to Bath only for a less frantic day. We were dropped of in the centre of Bath, to visit the Jane Austen Centre. I have carefully avoided visiting here, and after the visit, will not go again, unless with the Sensibility group. We were given an enthusiastic resume of Jane's life and family history, before walking round the exhibition. I will not comment too deeply on this, but would say that if you put on an exhibition purporting to show items from the Regency period, it would be a good idea if you didn't use a broken and incomplete item, and textiles of the wrong period.

"Tea with Mr. Darcy" followed - a bit odd to an English woman, as tea is a meal generally taken at 4.00 p.m., not in the morning! However, the cakes were excellent, but I am sure the ladies are bored with me complaining about cucumber in everything. The very sweet waitress kindly provided me with cucumberless sandwiches, and bagged them up for me when we ran out of time to finish them!

I was a bit apprehensive about our next visit, as it was one I had recommended. I love the American Museum http://www.americanmuseum.org/ but was afraid it might be a bit "coals to Newcastle". However, it did seem the the ladies enjoyed some, if not all of it, and all seemed to enjoy the beautiful gardens.

I drooled over the textiles, gowns, and quilts, especially the ones in the special exhibition, and enjoyed sitting overlooking the gardens. I was joined by Bettie, the young ladies, and some of the older ones, to whom Jennie and I introduced the soft drink, "elderflower pressee".

This was a nice relaxing day as far as I was concerned, and I was able to finish the small bits and pieces of my Bath outfit without staying up all night - always a bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment