My first blog of this kind, so forgive me if it's a bit - umm - rough to start with.
In September 2010 I joined the Sensibility Tour at the V and A (Victoria and Albert Museum), with two other ladies who had been staying with me. One lady was already there, and gradually the others joined us, as we waited for the phone call from the organiser, Jennie Chancey, to say that the coach from Heathrow was about to arrive, with the remaining group. We waited, and waited, and eventually the call came, but only to say that two ladies were not to be found.
However, the schedule needed to be kept, pretty much, so we were happy to see the coach finally arrive, and introductions all round were made. The two missing ladies had, cleverly, got themselves to the V and A where we all met up, had lunch and had a potter round the exhibits - as always, I made for the Indian printed cottons of the late 18th century, accompanied by one of Jennie's charming daughters.
Our appointment with the curator was at 2.00 p.m., but no curator - she eventually arrived, and we were told she had been given the wrong time, and did not curate costumes, but furniture!! So I found myself showing off as usual, and telling what I knew about the garments that were laid out for us, a court dress, a late 19th century outfit, and a muslin (English) dress of the early 19th century. We were allowed to take photos, but as always with study days, cannot share them.
The group finally re-assembled, heads were counted, seats were taken and we were off to Bath, or rather our accommodation near Bath. (Finding beds for some of us was another story!) It gave me an opportunity to try and put names to faces, although even now I sometimes have to think really hard before being sure I have it right. I regret that I didn't have a chance to spend more time with some of the young ladies, with whom I only had a quick chat in passing.
No comments:
Post a Comment