Saturday, 16 October 2010

Lacock and back to London

Sunday was our last day in the Bath area, so all our bags had to be packed and ready for the coach to arrive. The manager and several members of staff were about so we could thank them personally for their care of us. Off we went to meet to the ladies who had been staying in Lacock, and spend the morning looking round.

It is a National Trust village, which means that there are no satellite dishes or TV aerials visible, and everything has to be kept spick and span. Many drama series are filmed there, including some of "Cranford". It was yet another beautiful morning, and strolling round the village was a real pleasure. Many of the shops were open, selling crafts, old fashioned sweets, herbs, toys, lamb skins, knits, and a wonderful hat shop. I bought sweeties, tea as a gift, jewellery in the craft shop, and some lovely chamois leather to make myself a pair of Regency period gloves. I could have spent more, I am quite sure, as the shops were full of goodies.




We met up for lunch in the yard of one of the pubs, which was excellent, and I got an opportunity to speak to two of the ladies with whom I had not had a chance previously to become acquainted. We all gathered for the coach journey to London, when Jennie went off "just down the lane" to collect an outstanding cheque. While she was away - a short time, or so we understood, I pigged out on a wonderful icecream!

We waited...and waited...and waited...and fidgetted, and worried, and tried phoning the lady who Jennie was to visit, and waited some more, and eventually she arrived back, with the cheque, having walked far further than she was told! (I guess the journey time might have been right if you were in a car!) We watched some of "Cranford" on the journey, as now we could relate to the village and the settings. The flowers everywhere were quite magnificent.





This house was on the main street, but if you look really closely at one of the windows ..... on the left of the shuttered window...


Meercats!!


 The journey went well, and we were not as late reaching London as we had expected. Someone had suggested that I should ring my DH to come and collect me, as I was to spend the night at home, so I rang to give him time to meet me, without either of us waiting too long. Jennie wanted to meet up with him again, and I also wanted Bettie to meet him. Once again, we waited, and waited...and waited and again I was fidgetty. However, Jennie had to trot off and do her famed London dash, so just Bettie and I stood there, until Keith came across, having parked, illegally, in some roadworks!! There was no time to get acquainted with Bettie, but they hugged, then I went off home to my own bed.

Tomorrow I was to be on home territory, my favourite museum, "The Museum of London" and my new favourite "The Museum of Childhood."

No comments:

Post a Comment