The ribbon is to enable me to wear with or without my Regency style wig, but on the day, the wig looked wrong, as I bought it some years ago, when my hair was a much darker grey.
I decided to go and have a stroll round the "Regency" market, which was in the Guildhall, behind the Abbey. I found it rather a disappointment, I'm afraid, as there was nothing I wanted to buy. There were ribbons and laces and haberdashery on one stall, and Nehelenia (Christina) and her sister had a stall with her patterns and other items, but I don't buy period patterns, and could have stocked the haberdashery stall out of my workroom, I have so much! So I stood and watched some young ladies dancing, in "period" costume, then, finding it rather stuffy, I wandered back outside.
There was still quite a while before we were to meet up with the coach and driver, so I found a bench in the sun, and sat people watching, a favourite occupation. I struck up a conversation with a very pleasant elderly gentleman, who asked what all the "dressing up'" was in aid of, and once I had explained, we sat chatting happily, until it was time for him to go, and me to stroll towards the coach park.
Unfortunately, this meant that I had to stop outside my favourite second hand book shop in Bath, and I am afraid it sucked me in, to buy a book for my husband, for Christmas. Outside again, and only one book bought, several of the young ladies congregated there, and eventually we all clambered back on board the coach, to return to our hotels, strip off our finery and go down to supper. Several of the Rudloe Hall group congregated in the Victorian lounge and chatted for ages, a pleasant ending to a lovely day. Pictures of the lounge - properly called the drawing room, I expect, below. I have a French ormolu clock, very similar to the one on the mantelpiece - unfortunately not working, and it has lost its dome.
No comments:
Post a Comment